Whether they are for entertainment or for work, computers have shifted over the years from a luxury item for the elite into a common and necessary daily tool for most everyone.
And if you’re like most everyone, you’ve spent a lot of time in front of your computer recently. With the widespread accessibility of these amazing systems, and the recent development of remote working solutions, many of us have gotten a little lax with how tidy we are around our computers.
Between crumbs, oils from our hands, and environmental dust, our computers can very quickly become germ machines. And it doesn’t stop there – with the influx of emails, shared documents and web searches, they can get bogged down and run slowly or unpredictably as well.
So how can you prevent this physical and digital clutter from accumulating? Here are a few helpful tips:
1. Power down and unplug the computer before anything else. You don’t want to risk damaging it by working on a running unit or accidentally deleting important files with a cloth swipe.
2. Give your keyboard, mouse, and screen a good wipe down with a microfiber cloth. If it’s especially grimy, you can ever so slightly dampen the cloth to get the crud off. Remember to be gentle and cautious!
3. Use compressed air to blow out those teensy bits of debris trapped in those hard to reach places. Avoid touching anything inside of your computer directly. It’s easy to damage your system with static, body oils, and grime.
4. Use Windows 10’s Storage Manager to delete unnecessary files. Go to Settings, System, then Storage. From here, you can see which files are taking up the most space and delete the ones you don’t need. This will keep your computer running efficiently.
5. Our last bit of advice is to clear your browsing cache and cookies. Not only will this speed up your browsing experience, but you’ll be able to easily search for and keep what you need while quickly dumping the excess.
We love our computers and hope you do too! These 5 pointers for keeping your system clean from the inside out will extend the life of your computer and keep everything running as it should.
Is your computer at the end of its life even after these steps? Reach out to us for a free quote on a refurbished business-class computer here. Call us at 512.715.4273, or shoot us an email at email@example.com to find out more about our discounted bulk pricing.